Monday, September 21, 2009

In Memory of Great-Grandmother

This afternoon, suddenly received an email from Great Aunt Emily, titled ‘ Grandma has gone home with the Lord’ . Straight away, I opened the mail and read. To re-confirm the news, I phoned back home to ask my Mom because my Grand Aunt’s Grandma might be someone else, because of the huge family tree.

And yes, the news is true and I got the right person. My Great Grandma, Mdm Tang Chue Sin, passed away around 12 pm today, with family members around. She is a Buddhist, but due to multiple religion in the whole family, the funeral was set on Friday, which is five days late. According to Chinese tradition, all the generation don’t need to 戴孝, means we don’t need to mourn like the usual funeral, because Great Grandma is 100 years old. In some aspect, it is considered long life, which is something really good. So, I guess this is why we don’t need to mourn.

However, I am here in Singapore, preparing for exams and CCAs, I can’t go back to look at dear Great Grandma for the last time. She, however, will always in my heart. Although I can’t communicate with her very normally (She speaks Seng Leng, which I can only speak a little and she don’t understand most of the word I say), but she usually care us, imagine how she has to care for so many generation. I am already the 3rd generation after her and there are another generation after me, which is my cousin’s sons and daughters. Whoah, such a big family tree. She is most remarkable for her pearly white curl hair which reminds me of dolls.

It’s really mixed feelings to know she will not be with us anymore, but like what Grant Aunt Emily said, she will be with the Lord. In Buddhist context, she will be with Buddha – which is something good. We will miss her, yet hope she walks well in her journey…

2 comments:

~ Siang chia ~ said...

hey my dear friend, i wish that u can get through all this toughness of life and laugh out happily again very soon.
Life will just goes on, no matter happy or sad.
So, try to be more positively in facing your challenge!
Jiayou Jiayou!

RIP, mafer's great-grandmother.....

Mafer said...

Thanks... actually I am quite proud that she can live through 100... so powerful...

Chitika Ads