Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Lessons from my Idol

Since I mentioned in the last post that I will be posting about this, here it is! First of all, let me bring you into something in my life (whoah, Mafer never actually tell people much secret leh!). Yup, but I think this story is so motivational to me all the time! First thing, let me tell you, in my life, I might have admired many scientists and inventors. There are Louis Pasteur, Marie Curie, Albert Einstein and more. But the first ever that I admired and changed my entire life, is Thomas Alva Edison. Why?

Let us turn the time back 11 plus years, back when I was 9 or 10 (that’s my Primary 4). I had this very dedicating science teacher, and that was the first year we are having Science classes despite all the home schooled science books. Unlike other teachers, she is very special. Always in her gardener-like suit, she let us do experiments with many extra tests. We get to rear caterpillars and butterflies and moths; we get to make out own pickles; we get to burn our paper with matches. But most special of all, she herself is a very dedicated science person and she taught us extras other than those science in textbooks. She liked to let us have hands on and she even came to school with tonnes of seedlings just to distribute to us – letting us to have a taste of planting plants. I still remember I received a evergreen plant that will never flower and that’s the first plant I had for myself other than those peanuts, beans and corns that I used to test with my brother. And it is not anyone’s plant, not my mum’s, but mine! It is the first time I am given such a responsibility to take care of a plant, consciously! And in one of the lesson, we talked about inventors and the teacher was telling us stories of a bunch of them: Bell, Wrights – and Thomas Alva Edison. I have no idea why (maybe because it was the first story), but i was just so stuck with the Edison’s story. And that’s when I decided to be an inventor or scientist – someone who can create something using science knowledge in order to help the world out of trouble. That teacher eventually passed away the year she taught us of breast cancer. Our class eventually fulfilled our promise with by having everyone scoring As in Science. My dream which was sort of given through her, seemed to followed me from then on. Before that, my ambition was swaying here and there but not this time… Having this firm determination to go towards this goal had been putting my upright against all the odds when I feel down. For example when it seems it is quite fading to go towards a researcher’s path, I was telling myself : “Why not try once more?”

Other than that, there are these quotes from Thomas Edison himself:

I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.

And I am so inspired by how positivity is so important. Yes, I had been struggling with study. But that’s because I have yet to find the way that work for me. Others might have found it for the first few times, but what I have is the experience of knowing which one don’t!

Discontent is the first necessity of progress.

And hereby, it is reminding me to always question mindfully. Be content to stay happy but discontent to move forward.

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless.

And this is again a reminder that going a longer route doesn’t mean it is just a useless journey. What that makes me down was not just there to make me sad – it was meant to tell me something – that I need to find out the mistakes, the flaw – and in return, fix it.

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

Well, this is a bit not concerned to me because I think I am not a genius (yet ???). But what I do get was, if a genius needs 99% perspiration – me, who is in the process of finding the right path, should pay more than that, ain’t I?!

Being busy does not always mean real work. the object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be a forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing.

This is the most thing that reminds me all the time. For some time, it became a bad habit of me to complain how busy I am and how much work I still have there piling up. But at the first place, instead of wasting all the energy to make a fuss out of it, why not use it to do a real business?! From this, it reminds me to police myself whether I am really doing work instead of making just a decoration to my reputation?

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they give up.

And this is another thing that gave me a sign of ‘Don’t Give Up!’. Well, I seriously don’t wish to have people hundred years later telling the tale of a Science student named Mafer who nearly did something great but due to her giving up, someone else had done it instead – that will be just so embarrassing…. haha! Anyway, it tells us that in each failure you met, you never know whether the next one will be the great success. So, what we can do is to keep trying!

Yeah, this is part of my sharing about the lessons I learned today – which made a confident smile on my face after a down moment! Other than that, I would like to thank Mummy and Papa who gave me ultimate support. Being so faraway from home, I can’t tell them straight but would like to say, “I Love You!”.

No comments:

Chitika Ads