Friday, December 10, 2010

La Liberté guidant le peuple by Eugène Delacroix vs Coldplay

Trust me, this is totally random, haha! My playlist shuffles and it came to Viva La Vida by Coldplay. This song brought me suddenly back to one of the LT and reminded me of this picture – or rather, a painting.

Eugène_Delacroix_-_La_liberté_guidant_le_peuple

It is actually a painting titled “La Liberté guidant le peuple” meaning “Liberty Leading the People” by Eugène Delacroix. The painting is about July Revolution in France in 1830 where Charles X is overthrown. Liberty is portrayed as a female and it’s feminine in French as well! One interesting thing is as history went along the pages, Great Britain is always sympolized as a man while France as a woman…

Anyway, back to my randomness. Yes, this photo was one of the slides during the class and the lecturer reminded the student , “- And this is about the French revolution, not Coldplay album cover”. But when I think back, this sentence is not exactly true! Since the album cover of Coldplay is actually taken from this painting, edited and added with the album name, it can still be said that some part of this painting’s meaning will live inside the album cover… Hmm… Yea, just a random recordings of my memory Tire la langue.

No comments:

Chitika Ads