Thursday, March 03, 2011

Eventful Day

Right, let’s take a break after such a long series of Christianization of Roman Empire, Islamization is yet to come…

It’s half past midnight and I would like to dedicate this post for a rather eventful day. The morning went by with Mediterranean symposium where the group of ‘Did Rome fall? (Or Was She Pushed?)’ presented their view on the tesserae chosen with circulating snacks, which is a traditional element of a symposium! The thing was since it was the first symposium, things did went a bit out of hand at times, but no matter, I still enjoy the learning process. Besides, my group mates started to turned up and talked to me out of the blue. So at least now I get to remember them better, yay! Dr F was saying about the email I sent him and I had questions to ask as well, but the thing was I have another tutorial right after his class just downstairs. So, I asked to meet him at four instead. Indeed, between this two hours, really interesting tutorial occurred. Unlike the first tutorial, which was rather serious and academic, this time was really a good laugh. We spent the first part of tutorial discussing about themes and view on lectures: particularly military/naval history narratives’ impact on identity and nationalism, our lives, implications and intermingles with political, social and cultural discourses. The second part of the tutorial focused on partly anti-semitism and also question of race, religion with economy, politics and history. For that, we were to be in our group and role-play. And this is the beginning of the whole drama!

Group A: Jews in Nazi Germany. As a Jew, you are to deliver a speech to your fellow Jews in Germany.

Group B: Nazi German: Defend anti-Jew policy.

Group C: Liberal British: Arguing state to counter Hitler.

Group D: Asians: Colonized by British, sympathize with Hitler. Enemy’s enemy, our friend.

OKAY, the nature of the role-play was interesting enough and guess what, I was in the Nazi German group. The whole discussion sounds so wrong when we have to go against the traditional thought of seeing the Nazi’s policy as evil and go towards it. Not that I find it difficult, but to be able to or given an opportunity to do that in public – like a tutorial class, was way absurd and really a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience. When we present our part, we stated ‘we would like to inform that the following opinions are not our own opinion’ and continued with a ‘Hail Hitler!’. That was way crazy and perverse! Our part was mainly saying how bad the Jews are and why the policies should be pushed forward. Other groups did presented with good ideas as well. By the end of presentation, each of us at the audience floor would have to ask some question towards the presenter and this added on to the previous laughter. We were laughing so much of how funny the nature of the tutorial made us put down the barrier of being traditional, seriously.

The tutorial ended pleasantly and followed up by me walking up to teacher’s office. Obviously he wasn’t there and I met one of the classmate (don’t ask me who, because I barely remember his name when I saw him) in Mediterranean who wished to pass up papers as well. While waiting, we did talked for some time, which gave me access to preparation for my own symposium. Out of boredom, I went examine on each of the professor’s door – which is quite rude, but it was a pleasure to read all the articles they posted up. After some times, what appeared on the corridor was Dr K and he was like ‘ Are you waiting for Jack?’ For a moment, I was wondering what should I respond as – first name term to address my professor, that’s still absurd though students did that all the time behind the teacher, haha! I just nodded, at least. Dr K was saying he will be here in a moment but apparently time was ticking and Dr F was still nowhere to be seen. I was okay with the waiting as I don’t really have anything on after that and my mind simply just need some kind of junk-time space to clear all the weariness before another round of craziness. Dr K finished his talk with some student and started to came over to help us to phone Dr F (wow, as though we are urgent student matter, tsk) and even walking down the staircases to find him. A quick chat with Dr K where he was interrogating – whoops, asking about the course we are taking with this professor. As usual, I remained silence when there is another willing speaker, haha – sorry lah! Even after that, he offered to help the other student to pass up the paper (not as though I didn’t offer my help, but I think maybe I just don’t look reliable as the Dark Lord huh?) and the professor went down to check on that other professor again (Is there a tendency a professor slipped and rolled down a staircase? I don’t wish there is. I would rather wish Dr F just went for a coffee). Dr K was then telling me of how Dr F was still surrounded by a bunch of students after the 1101E lecture (oooh! no wonder!). Interesting on how professor describe the squeaky student’s background sound, reminded me of my Mom’s primary school, haha! Thanks for Dr K though who stayed for quite a while to entertain me by even showing a ‘strangling’ sign on how all the students were buzzing around. I understand how it could be felt but seriously, I do really feel that’s the thing you will miss the most after everything, haha! (I remembered how I felt the same feeling on Bernie, one of my student – indeed under my direct care when I was there, and I really miss those days now, haha!).

If you think waiting was the end, then the end was the beginning of another thing. This was one that nearly scared me out of my soul. Dr F came finally and I was dragging my bag into his office, thinking of telling him this conversation will be a short one as I have few to ask and I understand professors might wish to leave the office or what. But before I can say anything he asked me to enter the office and said he wanted to ask me something. This is for real: I was so shocked as I was questioning myself ‘Did I showed I haven’t read enough for the class that my poor performance in class needed the teacher’s attention? Surpris!!!’I could feel the silence and he started to ask me on opinion of tutorial and how to make it better. *faint* Now I am relieved! At least he was not going to lecture me on how I did badly in class, phew! The conversation continued with my question and then my symposium stuff (some minor technical problem). Not disclosing much of the conversation as it was really lengthy in some sense, plus a privacy of both of us. But I left his office with another big news hitting me: Immuno CA result was out. HUH?! WHAT?! AT THIS TIME?!

Yes, that was when I decided to drop by the result board before heading to lab. While waiting at the bus stop, gosh, someone suddenly talked to me! OMG, can all these stop please?! I kept being approached by people whom I don’t remember and they remember me! That makes me so terrible and embarrassing! I guess I should draw down faces of people I met everyday so that i can have a ‘contact list’ with their face on it when they talk to me. That girl was from my Why History lecture (freaking, how can she know I’m in the same LT?!) and talked to me about MCQ test. Obviously I was blabbering on how I might be down by God knows how much question due to cabbage questions. But then we parted to our own way and I accidentally met Tina in Science canteen. The rate of meeting people was so astonishingly high and I’m glad at least I remember Tina. The result turned out to be as usual – not really brilliant but not as bad as I thought – so so la! And when I entered the lab, what knocked on me was the fact that –20 was not working and people were rescuing things from it. Since the mass spec was in use, I helped out a bit and witness yet another move-the-boxes operation. Seriously, lab management should evolve a bit. And later on, I was informed my protein being freeze-dried at the lyophilizor was melting. What?! Yes, I have to re-freeze-dry it, sad! Luckily I came back to lab to check on it – if not, ha! And my day continued rather in a smooth way with a late dinner and pages of history texts…

So, it was indeed an eventful day – not that things happened were highly significant or highly insignificant, but it just make your day feels like a day Sourire. Tired? Of course – but if my body was not meant for tiredness, why was this adjective being created then?

No comments:

Chitika Ads