Monday, June 27, 2011

Au Revoir, Les Enfants: Is there really a line?

affich10

One thing that my friend could not understand about me is that I find real old movies and watch them. For example, I found a certain joy watching black and white film which my friends would kindly reject when I invited them (anyway, I invited them not because I think they will like it, I thought it would be polite to invite and that’s what friends did Rire). And to be true, I would be the one who reject black and white movie if it was ten years ago, until I found they were actually quite good. But don’t worry, this movie ‘Au revoir, les enfants’ is an old movie, but not black and white. I always wanted to watch it and thought of loading tudou until I found out that I could save all the problem and just watch it on youtube instead. Around thirteen parts there are, I watched and couldn’t help but like this movie.

It was in French and it was about a French boy who return to a Catholic school to find new students, which were actually Jews who were secretly hid by the Church from the occupying Nazis. The movie is rather moving as it depicts the psychology of the main character, a boy who got jealous for the new boy who was talented and was seen by the teacher as brilliant. When he found out the boy was praying Hebrew at night with candles, not receiving during communion and found his original Jewish name from the locker, he was in a confusion. He could easily turn them in, but something was holding him back. This ‘love-hate’ relationship had slowly developed into friendship, which will end very soon. The Jewish boy, who felt the difference of religion, was undergoing confusion of faith as well. However, things changed very soon when the Nazis came to check again and again until one day, the Father was arrested and forced to hand in the sets of Jewish boy to the regime. As the others wave the boys goodbye, the Father says, ‘I’ll see you soon’. Jullien, the main character, realized this will be the last time he will ever see his friends again as the boys were recorded to have died in concentration camp later…

One of the quote which I found the feeling is so immense:

Julien Quentin: T'as peur?
Jean Bonnet: Tout le temps.

And a very deep ending:

C'était il y a plus de 40 ans, mais je me rappelle chaque seconde de ce matin de janvier 1944

translated as:

More than forty years have passed, but I'll remember every second of that January morning until the day I die.

No comments:

Chitika Ads