Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Not-So Grad Trip: Armenian Church

Later of the trip, I walked down the stretch of beautifully constructed buildings, including this one which I noticed during my journey to Duke-NUS the other day. Its white wash style would probably be the first that caught my attention. As I just finish taking a Mediterranean class in university, I know white wash walls were not just about new housings. This is in fact the view I saw on the bus previously and I was looking at the ‘1835’ numbers as well.

Half Day Trip in Singapore

Outside the building, I saw this banner about the 175th Anniversary Celebrations. And that was when I realized about the Armenian community in Asia. And this Armenian Church had a plate on it.

Half Day Trip in Singapore
Half Day Trip in Singapore

Alongside with the plate about Armenian Church was the map to the ‘Civic District’. Apparently they had made the whole area into some historical ‘theme park’ which is really awesome. If I found this earlier, I would be walking in a more convenient route for all the essence. So, if you are interested to tour around this area, be sure to get this map as they had different route for differently themed purposes.

Half Day Trip in Singapore

So, enough of the outside of the church, I am walking in! What was welcoming me was this unique, or interesting, walkway with stones – or pebbles, not the round type. It was as though I was walking on a railway, but it was a superb experience. How often would you walk into a place to find a road like this? Plus, the place was quite deserted, which means a calm journey as I walked between the greens…

Half Day Trip in Singapore
Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore

So, along the path I was quite shocked when I glanced across and saw this figure of angel. Instead of the usual roman or gothic statue of angels, which looked pretty happy and realistic, this statue looked rather eerie to me. No offense but my first thought was, maybe this is a real angel because people tends to beautify things into statue. But all is well as I saw more of other sculpture…

Half Day Trip in Singapore
Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore

Finally, what greeted me is this whole building. It was not big, looking immensely small compared to those high-flying buildings around it, but it gave a different feel. Not to mention the calm environment and special path, the whole building could deliver the message ‘peace’!

Half Day Trip in Singapore

And in front of the building, it was a row of beautiful pink flowers. The colour was so beautifully addressed as it matches onto the white washed background of the church!

Half Day Trip in Singapore

Inside the church, however, I was greeted by several things which I had no idea how to read. The interior was an octagonal dome or cylinder with rows of seats for the mass while in front was a platform with a portrait of Last Supper and the crucifix. On the wall, were several writings in what I believed to be Armenian.

Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore
Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore

Standing between the chairs, there was someone coming in and prayed a while. I looked on, enjoying the environment. Modern churches now were equipped with air conditioner, loads of stuff, but they gave me a sense of rush and chaos. This church, was not air conditioned under the sun, and all I could feel is peace. This place is just good!

Half Day Trip in Singapore

Not only that, as I walked out, I realized I do like the white washed wall a lot. I imagined if I would ever went for a trip or two in Greece, maybe there would be chances that I screamed of excitement or just stick on those walls, hugging them like a teddy bear!

Half Day Trip in Singapore

Beside the church building was this house. I have no idea what is its purpose but it reminds me of some Penang houses…

Half Day Trip in Singapore

On the compound were the statues either of Christ or some tombs… This one actually made me thought of Christ helping the two child, protecting them from blazing sun. But of course, that was my imagination.

Half Day Trip in Singapore
Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore

Reference:

1) “Armenian Apostolic Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator Singapore”. http://armeniansinasia.org/.

No comments:

Chitika Ads