Monday, February 13, 2012

Not-So Grad Trip: Masonry, National Archive, Peranakan Museum Et cetera

To make the landmark, this is the trip down the road when you turned into the road next to the fire station, which looked like this:

Half Day Trip in Singapore

The first thing I could see was this building right next to the fire station. I did not notice anything special by then, believing it was just an office now until I walked nearer. This is the Freemason Hall. Truth to be told, I first heard of Freemasons only when I attended the history class in NUS. I heard it in EU1101E and other classes but ignored it because I have no idea who to ask and was confused with the Wikipedia (they just have too much information for certain pages, not their fault – it’s my laziness). Until during Europe of Dictatorship when I took this topic seriously and at least paid a little more effort to understand the whole thing.

Half Day Trip in Singapore

For those who wanted to know what’s Freemasons, feel free to Wiki it. That is not a topic I could explain in just one sentence, accurately. Other than that, I took down the photo of the plate outside the hall for your information. The columns of the hall, some, were supported by these poles which I had no idea what was that for. I supposed it was to support the column rather than a ritual stuff? And you could see the sort of universal logo of Freemasonry along the wall…

Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore

I did not intend to enter the hall, so I proceeded to the next venue. Along the road, I could see from far this building with words on it and yes it was that kind of legendary place I had always wanted to have a look: The National Archives of Singapore!

Half Day Trip in Singapore

When I walked closer to the building, my heart dropped. I had always imagined archives centres looked old or ancient or you know, OLD! But this building did not look anything like that. My dream archives, rows of shelves with brownish filings, beautifully architected structure… Well, still, this national archive did not look real bad. It just gave me a rather 70s or 80s look. I could imagine people with afros walking in and out now… Attached would be the plate about the building too! And of course, I couldn’t enter this building as I had no official reason to. Just wish they have some kind of tour for curious people like me, hmm!

Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore

Further down the road, you could see the Registries of Civil & Muslim Marriages. This would be the place to register your marriage, of course! And that means I have even more NO official reason to appear there. Hence, I turned…

Half Day Trip in Singapore

On the other side, I could see this building. On the wall, there was some word to indicate something about Armenian. It looked like this is a place with a larger community of Armenians. It’s a new thing for me, I would say, realizing how extensive the community is here.

Half Day Trip in Singapore

On the other stretch of building, it was the Peranakan Museum which I didn’t get to enter. The building was well furnished and banners were seen as it was holding a Kebaya exhibition that time…

Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore

So, what I did was had a quick walk at the compound of the museum to find some interesting view such as this ACM Cat statue. On the plate, it says, ‘In memory of the cat that adopted this building and became the museum's mascot, 1998-1999.’ Others would be some decorative objects, which made the place lively.

Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore
Half Day Trip in Singapore

And this is the side of the Armenian Church, which I only recognize at the white washed wall…

Half Day Trip in Singapore

Down the road I walk, continuing the journey…

No comments:

Chitika Ads