Saturday, March 17, 2012

Not-So Grad Trip: Church of Sts Peter and Paul

Not so far from the area I started the journey, I actually noticed the roof of this building before I was even aware of its existence. I think I saw the name on the Google Map, but I didn’t take note of it or anything. So, despite its hiding in the midst of modern buildings, I actually walked extra mile just to have a look of this church, Church of Sts Peter & Paul.

Half Day Trip in Singapore

The plate in front of the church showed a bit of the history. It seemed that this built by a French Mission. What was more interesting was the remark of ‘The French Emperor Napoleon III purportedly paid for the cost of the compound walls’.

Half Day Trip in Singapore

From the entrance, the church looked rather nice, with the delicate design of it. Notice the two sides of ordinary modern square-ish buildings which hid  it from the outside world. I was considering myself lucky to even noticed its roof popping out. For those interested in details, here it is… The photo on the right below showed what I found. There’s a Korean Catholic Community Office in Singapore?! Yes, apparently, according to this plate, there is! I realized there are so many hidden world in this city.

Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore

Since they were having mass on a Sunday morning, I strolled to the side building first and saw statues and was attracted by this ‘book’. I understood the left one, but the right? I guess it’s some latin or whatever…

Half Day Trip in Singapore

I did not wait till the end of the mass to intrude the place though. I reckoned I would better move on or I might be behind the time for my scheduled trip. I stood outside the church and heard the choir singing, in quite a high pitch. But of all things, what caught my attention was the stained glass. It was an interesting art with rich history of course. Besides, its mosaic structure did made me thought the art to be partly descended from Byzantium. But anyway, this part of art had definitely flourished through the building of many chapels and churches throughout history.

Half Day Trip in Singapore
Half Day Trip in Singapore

And on the side of the entrance, I saw these two statue, which immediately reminded me of St Peter and St Paul. Of course, who else could they be, right? There are even standing banners to talk about their history, how lovely…

Half Day Trip in SingaporeHalf Day Trip in Singapore

No comments:

Chitika Ads