Monday, September 24, 2012

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

After what I reviewed on my post of Hugo: Incredible Adaption, now I came to this. Don’t worry, this is not an error post. This time round, I would be touching more about the book that led to the movie, which I had mentioned. Practically, I heard of the book when the movie was announced and I wanted to read the book before watching anything. Surprisingly, my school library did held such a book in its pile of academic genre and so I went for it. My first impression when I saw the book was rather disparaging. It was a black book as thick as Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I wondered how would I be able to finish a book like this, not given that there were four amazing predecessor to the story. But I was wrong, very very wrong indeed. As I flipped through the book carelessly, I discovered the black and whites of it – but they were not just in the form of alphabets, they were in pictures. Well, I think I might be a bit biased because I was quite excited to find a picture book, even at my age. They were quite rare nowadays. I wished not to give out too much about the astounding work inside but *spoilers* yes, I will post a few here because they are just so beautiful!

And of course, this book was writing about Hugo – who else can it be, right? The story was good – but not terrifically outstanding. If the book were to be written in just plain text, it would have been hid others until someone discover it. It was the graphic, in my opinion, who brought out the attractiveness of the story, just like how living things around us brought our attention, each in their distinct ways. The accompaniment made the readership engaging. And it was much of coincidence when the story was talking about film making, a technique used by human to bring the written world, things that could not be expressed easily through letters into visuals – something human could understand even when one have not go through any education to learn to read. My mind while reading the book, was just like how the people first saw that train coming towards them on a film. It was definitely amazing.

The storyline, however normal it sounded to be, was not as ordinary as anything else. It was thrilling of how Selznick brought to light the emotion of a little boy. It would be so difficult to understand what had happened if it was not done properly. How on earth are we going to understand a boy stealing being ‘okay’? How can we not feel odd when the boy was being so secretive and protective of himself without knowing his inner world? I appreciated how Selznick draw these from Hugo’s perspective, because writing them down in a third point of view will be downgrading the intense emotion world the book can bring us. In this story, there are too many things that happened that if they were to put in our realistic world – will not explain anything – because we have not been looking at people from the inside. I would say as a person who struggled to understand people, I learned quite a bit of human nature here.

Nonetheless, the book had quite a few good quotes and it led you to think a bit about life sometimes. I think I shall stop giving more and more information – FULLSTOP.

Photo source: http://www.thefoxisblack.com/2010/02/21/the-invention-of-hugo-cabret-by-brian-selznick/

No comments:

Chitika Ads