Tuesday, December 04, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Perksofbeingwallflower1

THIS BOOK. D;

Not to hide anything, I was quite annoyed by this book at first. The Perks of Being a Wallflower started with the narrator telling tales about himself. Everything was okay, except he tends to tear all the time, which was quite tiring for me as a reader sometimes because I want to know the story! But starting from the middle of the book, I started to understand why the emphasis of crying and the narrator’s inner world. It tells of a boy who was quite an introvert and going through his high school, set in Pittsburgh suburb. The stories went in letter forms, which allows us to explore Charlie(the narrator’s) inner voice as a first-person point-of-view. He narrates how he lose his previous friend and as a shy and unpopular kid he did not really see how he will ever meet new friends until he befriended Sam and Patrick.

The story went along like any high school stories, but now focusing on how events affected the growth and development of Charlie psychologically and how it effects in his future life. Other than that, the book did focus on Charlie’s experiences on other people stories, which cast a light on teenage and young adult’s life thus far.

It is a thin book and definitely a good book to read. It might not be as famous or welcoming or appealing like most ‘big’ books, but the emotion part was done quite well by Chbosky.

Some favourite quote from the book:

So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Sometimes people use thought to not participate in life.

We accept the love we think we deserve.

So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.

Because it's okay to feel things.

Please believe that things are good with me, and even when they’re not, they will be soon enough.

No comments:

Chitika Ads