Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bucket Science: A Review

Yesterday morning, I went to Bucket Science, which is actually a symposium organized by a group of science communication student. I attended partly because I know someone is presenting, partly because it is a free entrance to the science centre, partly because free lunch is provided, partly because I am curious how much science communication is done here. I consulted a prof before with my writings and apparently I was given good feedback except my yet-to-improve grammar. He actually mentioned it was a pity there was no known science-writing/communication course here – but I later found out that there is. However, all these are not really my main aim, so it does nothing to change my mind about doing research. I started science writing solely due to the fact that I wanted to truly understand what I read and expressed it in a simpler manner so that others could too! Plus, I haven’t have much experience in writing, so perhaps going to these events might help. Overall, they did well, as in they at least did communicate science. Focus-wise may be too diverse, causing the variety of whole symposium target audience. This could be a good and bad thing. The emcee scripts were making the whole symposium rather bad. They are trying too hard to stick to the theme and telling humour that sometimes what they say did not make sense and it is really not what you want to expect in a science-based event. But to look at each presentations independently, I would say most of them had a ‘pass’ – considering these people might come from a diverse background, that is considered okay. In terms of event management, there were hiccups here and there, which again I have to close one eye because they are no expert. For publicity-wise, it is a bit lack of effort, hence explained the weird combination of audiences. Most of the audiences are people they know, which would not bring out the real effect of communicating science. As what my biology teacher once said, ‘You should reach a standard that one day you could go back and explain to your Ah Ma how plants work’. But well, these are students who just started their steps in science communication – let’s just give them a break, eh, just for once?

No comments:

Chitika Ads