Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Lizzie Bennet’s Diaries

If I am a media and communication student, I would have aced my majors. In quite a short period of time, I finished watching too many shows (not that I hadn’t hit the record before – Doctor Who was one). This time round, I’m writing about The Lizzie Bennet’s Diaries. How should I put it? The Lizzie Bennet’s Diaries is like a Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice adaption, just that it is in a modern society, on Youtube and the characters have Twitter accounts.

The-Lizzie-Bennet-Diaries

One of the feature is it being small clips of five to fifteen minutes. This does make the story much simpler, with less words, but still entertaining. Plus, for it being uploaded then and now, it creates a sense of travelling at the same timeline as the character. In this, their Twitter, Tumblr and every social media utilized made the whole story felt real. Audience could feel as though they are actually ‘watching’ a real-life character’s life, only more dramatic. Not to mention the script-writing was rather good with suitable humour and apt emphasis. Other than that, I would give kudos for their make up and decor. Even if it is just a small part, their work in that area did catch my attention, like Jane’s hairstyle. To summarize, their hairstyle, costumes did bring out a presentation of the character with their personality, and that is good. Another thing that I would give a thumbs up was the development of the plot and character which the actors and actresses successfully grew with. They did a great job in showing how the character grew with the plot, which is amazing and I’m sure attracted most of the audiences.

the-lizzie-bennet-diaries-mini-poster

This piece by Hank Green and Bernie Su brought excitement to the netizens I’m sure with their amazing skill in using the social media, turning it into something more than just the ‘old social media’.

Personally, I do enjoy the series, as I laughed at the stupid moments and felt for the character. For me, what is amazing is it is a series that can keep me going on – and that is a compliment. I don’t stick with many series often, and this one did! Plus, it gave me a space to imagine my life if I ever had a sister or whatsoever. It would be such a very different world.

Well, if you want to start, here’s Episode 1:

No comments:

Chitika Ads