Thursday, January 01, 2015

2014 Resolution: What Have I Done?

Every year (okay, it has been two years only), I will be putting my new year's resolution and goals on my AJIT (A Journal of Impossible Things) tab, to remind me of what are things I should be shuffling from 'impossible' to 'possible' to 'accomplished'. Here is 2014's version.

What I have done so far in 2014?

Science blog post: 5 (This is like a fail from a start - it has been stagnant for a long time and I think I certainly need to work on that.)
Personal blog post: 51 (This is okay, so far)

Books read: 19
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
Wisdom energy : basic Buddhist teachings by Lama Thubten Yeshe, Lama Thubten Zopa Rinpoche
The Future of the Mind by Michio Kaku
Tree of Codes by Jonathan Safran Foer
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
台北医生故事之菜鸟出诊篇 by 欧阳林 (Doctor O in Taipei)
Letters to a Young Scientist by Edward O. Wilson
Awakening a Kind Heart by Sangye Khadro
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
Doctor Who: Eleventh Doctor: Book 37: Apollo 23 by Justin Richards
Saving Max by Antoinette van Heugten
Xenocide by Orson Scott Card
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
The First World War by John Keegan
Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson
Doctor Who: A Big Hand For The Doctor: First Doctor - 50th Anniversary by Eoin Colfer
Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence by Daniel Goleman

(I'm proud to say I exceeded my goal of reading ten in 2014.)

Watched:
Quill (クイール), Good Doctor (굿 닥터), The Journey (一路有你), Huat Ah! Huat Ah! Huat!, Ah Boys to Men 1 & 2, La Vie D'Adele, Snowpiercer, The Fault in Our Stars, Bambino!, Jobs, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Recruit Diaries, The Grand Budapest Hotel, X-Men: Days of Future Past, La Belle et la Bête, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Interstellar, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, Mockingjay (Part 1), Soft Top Hard Shoulder, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Paddington, Silver Linings Playbook, The Boxtrolls

(And, the amount of movie is scary - I should filter them.)

Videos made: 5

(I have my own problem and I can live with this number for now haha.)

Language:
*A very subjective aspect*
German, French, Hebrew, Korean, English

(I contnued a bit of German and French. And I am in a basic Korean class - so I guess it is a process!)

Others:

Compare that to my 2014 resolution:

Vision: Live to the fullest, so that when the time comes, I can say I did it right.
Mission: Be a wise person and a scientist
Resolutions:
1. Continue to be a good person – Live right. I am totally intrigued by my father and it made me realized that after all these years, I finally has a clear goal of what kind of person I want to be. I want to grow up to be someone like him. I was so touched when everyone I met, from his family to his friends to his colleagues to his students, they came all the way to say 'your father is a successful man' 'you father is a good man' ' your father is a good teacher' 'he's a genius' - and I can see that they said all these not out of sympathy but their own grief over the loss of a very fine man, friend, colleague and teacher.
2. Live long and prosper. I would like to stress more on my own health, my family's relationship and also be useful. 
3. Write. For this, I am not wishing for more – just maintaining is good enough.
4. Make better videos. This is a bit tricky, because the camera was returned to its rightful owner, my brother and I am left with not much equipment. I wish to maintain but yes, I will see how.
5. Learn German, improve French and English, learn more about new language.
6. Curious more, ask more, research more. THIS IS THE ONE I HAVE TO HIGHLIGHT. Given that I am now in a research lab and doubled with department duties, I am happy to commit to research. But I am still fitting in to the work culture. Besides, to do my Resolution #5, I might have affected my other resolutions. I would like to work hard to balance the thing out, which will be my Secret Resolution #6. And of course, in terms of research, I set a goal that might or might not be able to achieve – my first scientific publication. I won’t give myself any high hopes nor would I wish for which authorship, just research effort worth a publication – that will be good.

No comments:

Chitika Ads